When you are a family caregiver, it isn’t difficult to overlook that you need caring for as well. In order to be the best caregiver for your loved one, it is important to pay attention to your needs as well. Here are a few reminders to help empower yourself as a family caregiver:
- Believe in yourself: Trust your instincts. Usually they will lead you in the right direction.
- Protect your health: Your loved one’s wellbeing depends on it.
- Reach out for help: Family caregiving is a job for more than one person.
- Caregiving is a job, and respite breaks are something with which you deserve to reward yourself.
- If you are feeling depressed and without hope, don’t wait to get professional help.
- Learn about your loved one’s condition and find out how to effectively communicate with his or her doctors.
- Be open to technologies and ideas that promote your loved one’s independence.
- Grieve for what may be lost, but then allow yourself to dream new dreams.
- Seek support from other caregivers in your situation, whether that is through an in-person or online support group, or just coffee with friends. There is great strength in knowing you are not alone.
Assisting Angels Home Care can provide in-home respite care for family caregivers when needed, including companionship, personal care and homemaking services. We can also help coordinate community resources and services, broadening the scope of care so that aging in the comfort of home can be a long-term sustainable option. Contact us today at 208.344.7979 in Boise, 208.733.2550 in Twin Falls, or call toll free at 855.860.7979 to learn more about how we can help.