- “Wow, you look worn out!””
Uh, this is what sleep deprivation plus worry plus fear look like, thanks. You’re gorgeous, too!
- “Oh my mom/sister/brother/grandfather had that, and it was awful!”
Hard to say which inspires more gorey stories, caregiving or childbirth. Which is ironic, considering that they both have sweet sides. I don’t need to be scared; I need to be empowered.
- “I don’t think that’s the way you’re supposed to do it…”
But I’m doing it. See?
- “I can tell you’re stressed…you’ve put on a little weight.”
Don’t. Tell. This. To. Anybody!
- “How long does he have left?”
Show me your magic wand and I’ll show you my crystal ball. Let’s change the subject to something less depressing.
- “Do you worry that you’ll get it too?”
Alzheimer’s/cancer/Parkinson’s/COPD/pneumonia/most diseases of old age aren’t contagious, like the flu. Let’s cope with one case at a time, please.
Heard any doozies yourself? Add to our list — or share how you respond to unhelpful comments.