A stroke can cause vision problems, paralysis to one side of the body, and memory loss. Therefore, communication with a stroke victim is not always easy. The following techniques can help you to communicate effectively with your loved one.
• Keep in mind that it may be difficult for your loved one to speak clearly due to effects from the stroke.
• Accept whatever form of communication works for your loved one, even if it is simply making hand gestures.
• Educate yourself on your loved one’s condition through information from the doctor, online resources and support groups so that you better understand what he/she may be experiencing.
• Join a support group, whether that be online or in person, to learn how others have dealt with communication issues.
• Be a good and patient listener.
• If communication is an issue, talk more slowly–NOT more loudly.
• Never “talk down” to your loved one.
• It is common for stroke survivors to experience strong emotions. Seek help from a professional if emotions become too much to handle.